Creating a water-wise workplace is not only essential for businesses by helping to reduce operating costs but also for protecting the environment and ensuring there’s clean water for future generations. Keep reading to find out 5 ways to control water usage in the workplace.
STAY AHEAD OF YOUR WATER USAGE WITH THESE 5 TIPS
1. Increase your employee's water usage awareness
- Introduce water-saving policies, schemes and procedures at staff meetings to highlight the importance of using water efficiently.
- Encourage visitors to conserve water by putting up signs and posters in high traffic, shared spaces such as the toilet and kitchen areas.
2. The kitchen and breakout area
- Instead of running the water to wash up plates and mugs separately, use the dishwasher when it is full. If possible, consider investing in a water-efficient dishwasher - it may be costly upfront, but it will pay off in the long run.
- Install water-efficient taps with a flow restrictor or an aerator to limit water usage.
- Regularly check for leaking taps.
3. The toilets and showers
- Toilet flushing - older toilets can use up to 13 litres per flush. If the cisterns have been installed for a long time, maybe it’s time to change them into a water-conserving device using a ‘Hippo' or ‘Save-a-Flush' bag. This will reduce around 1 to 3 litres per flush. Converting old cisterns to dual flush is also worth considering.
- Even if your office uses the latest button-operated dual flush, water leaks can still occur due to worn valves or washers, costing you more than 250 litres per hour. If there's a trickle of water running down the back of the pan, it's an indicator to check for toilet leakages.
- Install efficient showerheads and shower timers to limit use.
4. Harvest rainwater
With a few modifications, your business can install a rainwater collection and storage facility for tree watering and vehicle cleaning. Consult relevant authorities first to comply with any hosepipe regulations.
5. Warning signs of leakages
- Leaking overflow systems
- Damp patches in the outside area or inside the building
- Your water bill or meter reading is unusually higher than normal
With smart technology, businesses can now monitor water usage data on demand. Regular checkups will enable you to quickly identify anomalies and leakages. If you're looking for affordable and professional office removal services to further cut down costs, contact Edward Baden for a FREE site survey and consultation today.
For company and corporate relocations that include IT and computer moves, we have helped countless clients to seamlessly transition to a new location with minimum downtime and disruption. With over 25 years of expertise under our belts, no aspect of your office relocation will be left unattended. Find out more about our previous relocation projects and let us help your business today!